I would rather be safe than sorry when it comes to using boxes from sources
I don't know and trust.  If I don't know the author and they haven't
published a link to a public Git repo I pass and keep looking.

That being said, I do wish HashiCorp would establish stricter standards for
making boxes publicly available through their service. At the very least
I'd like to see valid contact info for the author and ideally a link to a
public Git repo for the source.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/6886a764-c9b7-40a9-b6cb-ad0d9992447d%40googlegroups.com.