Thought about this some more, and it's obvious what's going on...

authorized_keys is in /home/vagrant, so *obviously*, when I mount my
working directory over that, it becomes inaccessible. *doh*

Of course now, I'm running into a separate problem, whereby if I mount to
/vagrant, mounting doesn't take place at all, but baby steps...

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/a6698791-265c-4c32-b083-6bfa47ebde62%40googlegroups.com.