On 5/11/20 5:25 PM, Joe Golden wrote:
> Anthony,
>
> I thought you had forsaken sweet Debbie for that new girl, Arch.

I have (or take care of) a mix of Debian, NixOS, and Arch. Debian is the
standard for traditional Linux, but that model isn't tenable. Arch has a
great wiki for problem solving. NixOS has the best semantics and points
the way forward (mostly because it actually has semantics). It probably
isn't great for non-programmers though. Nixpkgs is the modern
development environment (regardless of your distro), but it is still
frustrating and baroque. We are in the stone ages!

Somebody needs to add strong types to Nix, ditch Posix (and everything
above and below it). I'm not even sure the concept of packaging,
versioning, and distributing software is a sound one. We really need to
get a better handle on modularity and interfaces in human culture. The
contributors to all these projects are doing great work keeping it
functional so we have an infrastructure to work in while we search for
the right thing.

--
Anthony Carrico