I totally agree with you that war isn't a good symbolism for this, it is one
of the reasons I deleted that proposal.

The reason why I created it in the first place was the sound of "Vala": it
reminds "of Valkyrie" or "Valhalla" (and if you've read the Silmarillion it
reminds of the "Valar"), and ancient weapons are strongly connected to those
topics, so I wanted to try working on that. But since there are better
symbolisms (which also look better graphically :D), I deleted that proposal.

I don't know if you've taken a look at the pdf, but there are several
proposals which communicate exactly what you said: lightness, easiness,
flying etc.
A flying carpet isn't a bad idea but personally, I like a wing better,
because it's less complex and easier to understand.
in case you've missed it: symbol proposals pdf
download<http://ubuntuone.com/p/1DBL/>

kind regards
tobias