Hi,

I am using RHEL6.2 OS.

'uname -a' output is

Linux mercury05 2.6.32-220.17.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Apr 26 13:37:13 EDT 2012
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

using valgrind version 3.8.0 also shmat is failing with errno 22.

Thanks and regards,

Adishesh

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 21:46:34 +0530  wrote

>> But when same program is executed under valgrind shmat parameters are
>> getting modified and shmat is failing with errno 22.

> without valgrind ( taken using strace command)

> shmat(281542719, 0, 0) = ?

> with valgrind ( taken using strace command)

> shmat(281542719, 0xf1c0000, 0) = ?

Please tell us which hardware and operating system, and which version of
valgrind.

It matters. In particular, "errno 22" might not be EINVAL on all systems.

The second parameter to shmat() is the preferred address, where 0 means "I
don't care

which address, just give me a good one." In order to manage and track the
address space,

then valgrind picks what it considers to be a good address, and asks for shmat()

at that address.

In order to get beyond "errno 22", then we must determine _why_ your system

believes that the address is not valid. The particular case of 0x0f1c0000

looks pretty good to me: on a 256 KB boundary, not too large, etc.

Why does your system complain?

Live Security Virtual Conference