>  A user doesn't have a means to add VFPs or VDPs via VCL

Well, I guess I meant like this:

    beresp.do_esi = true

In effect, the above statement adds the ESI VDP to the beresp. ESI would
not be part of the "builtin" VDPs in this new scheme, rather, its just a
plain old user VDP. Builtins, as I have defined it, are VDPs which are
always available to be used transparent to the user. So in your case,
switching out ESI would be done like this:

    import my_parallel_esi;

    sub vcl_backend_response
    {
        add_vfp(my_parallel_esi.init());
        // Do not use beresp.do_esi
    }

Because no other ESI VDP was added, my_parallel_esi will be the only one to
run.

> Are we considering ways for a VFP/VDP defined in a VMOD to replace one of
the builtins?

I see no reason why not.

--
Reza Naghibi