Hi all,

I'm looking at a scenario with a Linux host and a Windows guest

The main reason for the Windows guest is to run AutoCAD

I've heard various opinions about this: AutoCAD runs, but some graphical
operations a bit slow, even with the VirtualBox 3D acceleration enabled.

I'd like to understand whether it is possible to do the following and
the practical issues that may arise:

- add a second video card/GPU to the machine
- add a second monitor, connected to the new video card/GPU
- associate the second video card/GPU with the guest using PCI passthrough

Some questions come to mind:

- how stable is the passthrough support these days?
- how will the mouse pointer and keyboard know when to interact with the
guest and how to get them back to the host?
- how to install the video card driver in the guest, will it just work
in a VESA mode the first time it starts up?
- has anybody tried this particular solution with AutoCAD, was it worth
the effort?
- can anybody comment on which brand of card is most likely to work with
passthrough, e.g. the NVIDIA Quadro cards perhaps?

Regards,

Daniel