 Subject: [VBox-users] practical use of second video card/GPU with PCI
passthrough
 To: vbox-users-community@lists.sourceforge.net
 Date: Monday, July 27, 2015, 11:55 AM

 Hi all,

 I'm looking at a scenario with a Linux host and a Windows
 guest

 The main reason for the Windows guest is to run AutoCAD

 I've heard various opinions about this: AutoCAD runs, but
 some graphical
 operations a bit slow, even with the VirtualBox 3D
 acceleration enabled.

 I'd like to understand whether it is possible to do the
 following and
 the practical issues that may arise:

 - add a second video card/GPU to the machine
 - add a second monitor, connected to the new video card/GPU
 - associate the second video card/GPU with the guest using
 PCI passthrough

 Some questions come to mind:

 - how stable is the passthrough support these days?
 - how will the mouse pointer and keyboard know when to
 interact with the
 guest and how to get them back to the host?
 - how to install the video card driver in the guest, will it
 just work
 in a VESA mode the first time it starts up?
 - has anybody tried this particular solution with AutoCAD,
 was it worth
 the effort?
 - can anybody comment on which brand of card is most likely
 to work with
 passthrough, e.g. the NVIDIA Quadro cards perhaps?

 Regards,

 Daniel