While I cannot answer your question about 5.2, but I have a counter
question:
Why was a 5.x feature removed from 6.x? Was it removed from the GUI or API
as well? Was this removal documented and whats the reason for feature
removal?

In general, I recommend against removing features that are useful and used
by people.

-Alexey E.