One observation though. The eth1 host-only adapter in my Karmic guest
has MULTICAST enabled, but does not hear anything on 224.0.0.1. I can
issue multicast directly to the guest adapter on vboxnet0, but not with
the multicast IP address 224.0.0.1. All my other machines hear traffic
on 224.0.0.1 fine.

is this a bug?