Ben Beuchler wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 12:19:50PM -0500, Ken Jones wrote:
>
> > >         Hi, I've a server with this hardware configuration:
> > > AMD- K6 - 500Mhz, 64Mb RAM, 10Gb HD (IDE). This server is running a
> > > WebServer (Apache) and a mail server (qmail and vpopmail). This server
> > > has about 150 domains in it, but now one of then, would like to give
> > > Free Email Accounts (like Hotmail). Anyone can told me how many mail
> > > accounts this server supports?
> > > P.S- 1Mb each account.
> >
> > You can probably do about 20K accounts. It depends alot on
> > how active each account is.
>
> I would be very curious to hear how you arrived at that number.  I'm not
> disagreeing with you, I just have no idea how to predict how many
> accounts a box can handle.

It's a gut feeling based on systems I've worked on and talking
to other people about thier machines. Another number to throw
into the mix ;] on most free email sites, only 10% to 20% of
the accounts are active. (based on that - i'm probably
overstating the amount of 20K)

We did some measurements with a similar machine as above. About
the same hardware except it had 128Mram. Only doing outgoing
email, for newsletter type mail. It was able to sustain about
750,000 emails per day. It ranged from 500K to 1.1M.

Ken Jones