On Wednesday, October 24, 2001, at 11:43 AM, eddie karam wrote:

> well guys i have bee having alot of problems getting qmail to relay,
> now i have noticed that everytime i try to send email, i see the ip on
> the open-smtp file, but it still does not work, now what is the
> open-smtp file? and how does it relate to the tcp.smtp? I just have not
> been able to relay, i have setup relay control, but i'm still having
> the same problem...i have posted to the qmail, and relay-ctrl list, but
> still no answers, i know i'm getting to be anoying in these lists
> asking so much, but i need to get this, and i just cant affoer to pay
> for support, i have been fighting with all this for over 3 weeks, and
> i'm on my 5 coplete new set up, i have tried freebsd, redhat 7.1 and
> 6.2 and i'm yet to get this stuff working the way its supposed to:(
> thanks,

open-smtp is where "roaming" users' relay information is put.  tcp.smtp
is for "static" relay information: i.e. IPs that can always relay.  When
a user is authenticated via vchkpw (with roaming users compiled in),
their ip is entered in the open-smtp file, and then then tcprules
compiles the contents of both open-smtp and tcp.smtp into tcp.smtp.cdb.

Regards,

Bill Shupp