once again thanks Bill...
i looked at the timestamp and although the open-smtp does update everytime i
check mail, the tcp.smtp and the tcp.smtp.cdb do not...
all 3 files open-smtp, tcp.smtp, and tcp.smtp.cdb are owned by usur root
group root...
and this is my smtp run script:

#!/bin/sh
QMAILDUID=`id -u qmaild`
NOFILESGID=`id -g qmaild`
MAXSMTPD=`cat /var/qmail/control/concurrencyincoming`
exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 4000000 \
    /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -R -l 0 -x /home/vpopmail/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb
-c "$MAXSMTPD" \
        -u "$QMAILDUID" -g "$NOFILESGID" 0 smtp /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd
2>&1

could my problem be that my user and group id are the qmail id's?
should it be root, as the open-smtp, tcp.smtp, and tcp.smtp.cdb?
or should it be the other way around and qmail should own the open-smtp,
tcp.smtp, and tcp.smtp.cdb files?