A client of mine had their mailserver go down this week, and has asked me if
we can have ours act as a backup mailserver.

I've got a pretty standard LWQ qmail setup with vpopmail.

I have the client's mailserver's MX as 10, and my server as 20.

I did some research, and found that all I should have to do is add the domain
to the rcpthosts or morercpthosts, but make sure that it isn't added to
locals or virtualdomains. I also found out about the smtproutes file, but
seems that this file is only necessary if you need to force the server NOT to
use the MX records.

Here's my questions:

1. If I add the domain to morercpthosts, do I need to restart qmail or do
anything with vpopmail?

The reasons I ask are because I saw a morercpthosts.cdb and morerspthosts.lock
that I honestly don't remember seeing when I setup the server. Also, I added
the domain in question to morercpthosts and watched the e-mail enter the
queue and stay in there until I restarted qmail.

2. The smtproutes file doesn't exist in /var/qmail/control. Do I need it? If
so, would I just add the file and qmail would know what to do with it?

Sorry for the lengthy post. Any assistance is *much* appreciated. I normally
use vpopmail for domain additions/deletions, and I don't want to screw
anything up, as we have hundreds of domains on this server.

Thanks!!

Nate D.