Hi Alan,

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 09:31:37 -0400 (EDT) Alan Murrell wrote:

>> is sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED], qmail just dumps it
>> directly into user's mailbox,completely out of the
>> spam checking task.

> My understanding is that when delivering mail,
> vpopmail looks for these files in the following order:
>
>   ~vpopmail/domains/domain.com/.qmail-user
>   ~vpopmail/domains/domain.com/user/.qmail
>   ~vpopmail/domains/domain.com/.qmail/default

No. It's slightely different.

qmail-local looks for

~vpopmail/domains/domain.com/.qmail-user

and if this lookup fails it looks for

~vpopmail/domains/domain.com/qmail-default

At _THIS_ stage control is given to vpopmail (with default
.qmail-default that calls 'vdelivermail').

vdelivermail is the one that looks up the user in vpasswd.cdb and, if
present, processes user/.qmail.

> So what is happening in your situation, is the
> .qmail-test file is prcessed by delivering the mail to
> "user", and then no further processing is done

That's correct in so far as qmail-local already uses this file and
vpopmail never gains control over the delivery process.

> I am not sure why this was done this way,

Read the qmail documentation and try to understand the "Big qmail
picture"[1].
Both together explain how delivery is done in qmail and where vpopmail
"steps in".

> If I was a coder, I would prolly see if I could change that behaviour
> myself :-)

If you were a coder and would have understood the qmail delivery system
you'd know how you can change this behavior.
It's all about _where_ to step in and "why e.g. qmailadmin is not
designed to support this kind of interception yet".
Creating aliases manually and including spamassassin in the delivery
chain ain't a problem, the only problem is keeping this persistent when
modifying aliases with qmailadmin.

[1] http://www.nrg4u.com/
--
Ciao,