hmm, I had read that it was seconds however it is in fact less.
I know setting it to 1 is long enough for it to make the connection even
under moderate load on our 100mb/cisco lan, and I deleted the mysql
source because I'm stressed for disk space on my laptop, when I get a
chance I will investigate further, corporate programming has a tendancy
to reduce the priority on cleanup once you have it working.

I don't know if its desirable to set that on the other connections, are
they for adds/deletes? if so its hardly service impacting for them not
to timeout timely.

matt

btw, I apologise for our little problem a few months back on the qmail
list.