Mat,

All I can say is that I tried this on Deb Woody and
ran into all sorts of authentication problems ( some
caused no doubt by my own inexperience ).

I ended up using dpkg / apt to remove all the Deb
software versions then compiled and installed qmail,
tcpserver, vpopmail, qmailadmin etc, from source.
With everything then in the default locations, and no
Deb Woody stuff getting in the way,way, the problems
just seemed to evaporate...

Chris.