No probably about it A.J. Duplication was rife.
But there was a whole lot of overhead as well,
including library files which where apparently
only Deb specific.

As to the package system, well preventing it from
updating stuff you don't want it too can be a trial!
Even updating the underlying o/s can sometimes add
stuff you don't really need.

Chris.

A.j. hath written: