On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 11:58:43PM +0000, Mike Miller wrote:
> [vpopmail - 5.3.20]
>
>     So I installed vpopmail and now I'm compiling courier-IMAP as a
> non-root user (like a good boy).  Problem is, /var/vpopmail/lib and the
> libvpopmail.a library are chmodded 700 without permissions besides root.
> Maybe this should be 755 or 750 by default to allow such problems to link
> with the static library.  I of course changed the permissions to allow
> group permissions, but I think the default should allow.
>
> -M

755 would be a bad idea, since there's potentially sensitive information statically
compiled into the librarys (like sql passwords) that could be easily read by other
users. I usually just compile courier up to the point where it fails on that, then go
back as root and re-run gmake. It finishes compiling and I've never had a problem with
it. I think the correct solution would be fixing courier-imap to compile properly as
root, but that's just my personal opinion.

--Doug