Sérgio Manuel Rosa wrote:

Jesse Guardiani writes:

On Monday 28 July 2003 20:05, Sérgio Manuel Rosa wrote:

Hi List,
I've got to build a new server. This server is going to hold a great number
of users and a lot of traffic.
My question is: should I use mySQL, ldap or none?

MySQL. Without a doubt.

Thanks Jesse,
I was guessing that... Well it's never late to learn new stuff.
Regards
srosa

Hi Jesse,

bevor you decide to choose mySQL make your mind clear about the follwoing things:

- are you able to replicate your database with mySQL ?
- are these tables tranactional based in mySQL ?
- are you able to do __consistent__ online backups with mySQL ? ( dont bother me with any mysql-dump scripts ... or something like that ... )
- did you ever do a disaster recovery with mySQL ?
- are you able to extend/migrate you database with mySQL ?

so if you really plan to setup a huge server which has to fit these point... well, things twice ;-))
There are more database backend's , e.g. oracle with totally fulfill these points.
if you are not familiar with these point , than you should choose mySQL.

Cheers
Jens