There's something about logging into virtual accounts with the order and number of parameters in your smtp run file with the new(er) versions of vpopmail. The parameter count changed and many online examples have /bin/true one position too early. This has the effect of allowing all passwords to be authenticated, irrespective of their lookup result.

LIST: Can we call this problem something specific: "The /bin/true bogus auth issue" and make a link to reference/fix it?

I think this is your issue Jeff.

jeff thomas wrote:

Ok...

What the hell ... I just compiled 5.3.24 WITHOUT
learn-passwords. Installed it. Restarted all mail
services. I can STILL log into any account with any
password.

Someone here must be able to shed some light on this
for me??  Please?

--- jeff thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Ok...

So, I just compiled 5.3.24 and installed it. I used
the following configure line:

./configure  --enable-qmaildir=/var/qmail
--enable-tcprules-prog=/usr/local/bin/tcprules
--enable-learn-passwords=y

--enable-tcpserver-file=/usr/home/vpopmail/etc/tcp.smtp

--enable-defaultquota=10000000 --enable-logging=e
--enable-valias=y --enable-roaming-users=y
--enable-relay-clear-minutes=30 --enable-mysql=y
--enable-sqlincdir=/usr/local/include/mysql
--enable-sqllibdir=/usr/local/lib/mysql
--enable-default-domain=domain.com
--enable-qmail-ext=y --prefix=/usr/home

Same freaking problem. I can log into all of the accounts with any password. Thoughts?

--- jeff thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Ok... I tried this fix.

I edited vchkpw.c and removed the FOOB and ENDIF.
recompiled.

No luck. Same thing. Any password I put in still
works.

Thoughts?

--- Michael Bowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I just remembered that learn-passwords was

broken

in

5.3.20, and then
eventually fixed in 5.3.24

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=783824&group_id=85937&atid=577798

Maybe this has something to do with your

problem?

Michael.

----- Original Message ----- From: "jeff thomas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>