I want to build a mail gateway to deny incoming SMTP for unknown virtual domain users by building it with the chkuser patch (correct patch name?).

I use MySQL for my user database on the mail server.

Can I hook the gateway (via VPN) to the user database on the mail server for the auth checks?? I haven't worked with the chkuser patch so this is very new ground for me.

No, I'd rather not start replicating MySQL databases if I can help it. I want the gateway to save resources for scanning virii and stopping this Sobig crap.

Thanks in advance, Dave.