I think you would to quite well with mysql, might be little bit slower but
by practicality I believe it has more positive points than LDAP.

Plus considering todays hardware is so fast and cheap. I think little bit
speed penalty is not too big problem. Well you can always buy faster cpu
and more memory or multiple cpu.

Also onsidering that buying a supreme hardware would only cost a small
fraction of the money you pay for iplanet. Anyhow :) of course this is my
opinion. I am sure people will have different opinions

Evren