I'm running a set of domains with about 50K users now using mysql. Depending on how you're going to structure the qmail+vpopmail environment there're a number of things you can do to overcome the slightly slower mysql. What I do is run a local read-only copy of the mysql database on each of my qmail servers, which are replicated off of a master read-write copy.
Delivering roughly 500K messages per day to this cluster I'm running three servers for qmail, vpopmail, courier-imap/pop3, squirrelmail. Two are dual P3s at 1ghz, and one is a dual Athlon XP 2400+, and performance is more than acceptable (its a pretty darn fast cluster imho). The master read/write mysql database is running on a semi-ancient Sun E250, however there's not a lot of writing going on as I turned off mysql logging in vpopmail.
Hope that helps,
Nick Harring
Rodrigo Pinheiro wrote:

Hi,

I've a domain with 30,000 accounts +/-, it's running on iplanet solutions
I need migrate that solution to free software, because iplanet is very
expensive

I'd like to know which module to use for autentication,

LDAP or MYSQL ??

SQL is more slow LDAP,

but I seen that MYSQL module is more used and more accept.

Thanks.

Rodrigo Pinheiro