On Wednesday, September 10, 2003, at 04:45 PM, Ken Jones wrote:
Untill CVS is up and running, how would I go about
packaging up a new release?

CVS is up now. Please start with that code, as it includes a few changes to the current tarball.

I forgot to mention the following in my previous email:

-----
-----

Would it be as simple as:
1) get the current tarball
2) apply changes to my local copy
3) test test test
4) tar up the package with a new version number
5) upload to source forge?

With CVS (actual cvs commands in quotes), you should "checkout" the vpopmail module from the vpopmail CVS repository, make your changes to your checked out version, and "commit" those changes (with a note explaining what they're for). Whenever you start working on the source, be sure to "update" your copy from the repository. You can "diff" your copy with the current repository copy to see where changes are. Or get the "status" on a file (or all files).

I look to others with more experience than I for how to build releases. My understanding is that when we have a stable version of vpopmail in CVS, we'll tag it with a name like "vpopmail-5-3-28-release" (periods aren't allowed in tags). Then, go to another directory and do a cvs "export" to get the files as of that release tag, and tgz *that* up for distribution.

Ken, please go into the Admin section of the vpopmail project and take a look at the File Releases section. Maybe once we're ready for a release, we can get on the phone and I'll talk you though the process.

--
Tom Collins
[EMAIL PROTECTED]