Hi,

> > > My guess is that it has to do with the date/timestamps on the various
> > > configure files.  It shouldn't be a problem, since configure is re-run
> > > with the same options.

This would appear to be right. Running "touch ac* config*" causes
configure to only be run once although there are still warnings:

cd . && automake --foreign Makefile
cd . \
  && CONFIG_FILES=Makefile CONFIG_HEADERS= /bin/sh ./config.status
creating Makefile
cd . && autoheader
WARNING: Using auxiliary files such as `acconfig.h', `config.h.bot'
WARNING: and `config.h.top', to define templates for `config.h.in'
WARNING: is deprecated and discouraged.

WARNING: Using the third argument of `AC_DEFINE' and
WARNING: `AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED' allows to define a template without
WARNING: `acconfig.h':

WARNING:   AC_DEFINE([NEED_MAIN], 1,
WARNING:             [Define if a function `main' is needed.])

WARNING: More sophisticated templates can also be produced, see the
WARNING: documentation.

Cheers,
Jonathan