Antonio, sorry to be closing this thread so late but I wanted to make sure
that it got done...

Problem resolved (and better understood)...  I took Nick's advice and added
recordio to get some additional logging...  The Linux clients were going
through my ISP while the Windows clients where trying to SMTP-AUTH against my
QMail server...  Of course, the QMail box wasn't patched to support smtp-auth
(why isn't this in by default!!??) so the authentication failed...  Since I
know which subnets I want to allow, I updated the tcp.smtp file and
re-generated the cdb version of it and everything worked...  For the sake of
my own sanity, I tried to relay from another subnet and it failed (so no
open-relay!!)...

I still need to investigate why my Linux clients are bypassing the QMail
server when sending - but that is a topic for another day and another mailing
list...

In conclusion, my problem had nothing to do with this list (sorry) - but thank
you very much to everyone who tried to help!!  The Linux community rocks!

-David