W.D. McKinney wrote:

>edit /etc/tcp.smtp and add   127.:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""
>then issue 'qmailctl cdb'
>Then issue 'qmailctl stop'
>then '/home/vpopmail/bin/clearopensmtp'
>now issue 'qmailctl start'

That got rid of the error message, but outgoing messages were still stuck in
the qmail queue. After lots of searching it transpired that that eth0 was
behaving unreliably, but only for outgoing trafic. My test-machine was an old
200 MHz Dell Optiplex. This is probably a Linus driver problem, as it ran Win
2000 without a hitch.

Anyway, I installed everything on a new machine and now it worked stright
away.

By the way, I am still curious about the role of /home/vpopmail/etc/tcp.smtp.

>Try sending to remote users now and let us know.
Im sending this message via the new qmail/vpopmail setup.
Thanks for the help.

Sigmund.