I actually found the problem - it was the qmail pop3d I was using, not the
courier-imap one. The
qmail-maildir++.patch killed the pop3d.c - it forgot to change two puts().

Although it works now, I'm slightly confused: The qmail-maildir++.patch is quite old -
I'm surely
not the first one to use it. Maybe it's only the debian qmail-src it breaks, although
i wouldn't
know why and I'm surely not the only one to use it.

Anyway, just in case somebody is interested, the lines 309:314 of qmail-pop3d.c have
to be changed

  /* okay(); */
-  puts("+OK ");
-  puts(" octets\r\n");

  /* okay(); */
+  substdio_puts(&ssout,"+OK ");
+  substdio_puts(&ssout," octets\r\n");

after applying the qmail-maildir++.patch . If anybody knows whether this is debian
specific please
tell me - I'd really like to know. Actually I might try and find out after I set up
the rest of the
server - still have to debug the SMTP-Auth :(

Thanks Tom for setting me on the right track.