Hello Jeremy,

On Sunday, March 14, 2004 at 4:51:45 PM you wrote (at least in part):

>> > Mar 14 15:29:26 icebear vpopmail[3787]: vchkpw-pop3: vpopmail user not
>> > found web150p1@:217.233.6.196
>> [...]
>> > Have someone of you an idea how I can block these user or how I can
>> > add this IP temp. into iptables?
>>
>>  $> echo '217.233.6.196:deny' >>~vpopmail/etc/tcp.smtp
>>  $> clearopensmtp
>>
>> Assuming your tcp.smtp file is located in ~vpopmail/etc.
>>
>> You'll not need to make an effort and configure IPTABLES, tcpserver is
>> able to reject the connection by itself (when told in .cdb file).

> but what you missed is that this is a pop3 connection.

Actually it's not that hard to figure:

- this .cdb file is used by tcpserver
- tcpserver of POP3 process can use one too
- One can enter the same line into a different text file and make an
  appropriate .cdb file from it or tell POP3 server to use the same
  .cdb file as SMTP server; qmail-popup and qmail-pop3d will not be
  disturbed by set RELAYCLIENT or even QMAILQUEUE variables.

Somebody who deals with his own mail server I simply expect to be able
to read documentation to make it as secure as possible. When this
person got a hint I expect it to be able to carry over this knowledge
to other problems as well. That's the responsibility someone has when
he/she wants to have his/her own server. Sorry for that opinion.
--
Best regards
Peter Palmreuther

Death is God's way of telling you not to be such a wise guy.