On Apr 21, 2004, at 4:00 AM, Rick Widmer wrote:
First, Tom, can I get your alias list code?

I've emailed it directly to you.

Update on ordered domain names...

I have an insertion sort working with users/assign that keeps domain names in order. Should I try to make it support all the qmail control files or have a separate function for that file?

Heck if I know...

Will there be a procedure for people upgrading to follow that will get their file sorted properly?

Delete domains

I still think deldomain should take all aliases with it. Right now it leaves the alias domains configured in qmail, but there is no directory structure for them to store mail. That is not good.

I now realize it is a little more complicated than I first thought, because several qmail control files need to be modified. Tom's code to retrieve the list of aliases for a domain would be a good thing to have, since all the aliases need to be cleaned out of all of the qmail control files.

I think it should look like this:

>vdeldomain developersdesk.com
WARNING alias domains exist:
  developersdesk.net
  developersdesk.org

>vdeldomain -f developersdesk.com
WARNING alias domains deleted:
  developersdesk.net
  developersdesk.org

I agree.

vdeldomain() always deletes the domains, and all aliases. the vdeldomain program does the work to check if there are aliases. If there are it gives a warning, and either aborts or does the delete.

Sounds like a good plan.

Finally, does anyone have any thoughts on a function that promotes an alias domain to primary. It would rename the domains/ directory and update all the users/assign entries. Someday it might even fix mailing lists to reflect the primary domain name change.

I think this would be an excellent idea. I think I talked with Michael Bowe about this in respect to vdeldomain -- that there should be a way to "promote" one of the aliases to be the "real" domain.

Keep in mind that you might also need to update every .qmail file, looking for Maildir pathnames (used in autoresponders, .qmail-default, old-style aliases, etc.) as well. It might just be easier to keep the old directory name and update users/assign with a new "real" domain for the aliases.

--
Tom Collins  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]