I doubt this is a MySQL problem. We are using MySQL in several
environments, including vpopmail. My guess is I don't have as many
users as you, since I set my pop3 concurency at 30 with no problems.

Are you running qmail-scanner or spamassassin? These added quite a bit
of load to my mail server (dual 2.8 Xeons, 2GB RAM) but it still
averages at around 0.3 for the 5min average. It will spike if Razor is
slow to respond or one of our customers does a blast e-mail to thier
client base.

You can try and put MySQL on a seperate server and just have vpopmail
connect to the external database and see if that solves any load
problems.

BTW, What versions are you running?