Dave Goodrich wrote:

Michael Bowe wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Goodrich" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Mark Richardson wrote:

<snip>

I have looked at the dir hashing code before in an effort to try and
understand it, but not being an expert C programmer, it makes my head spin

In the mailing list archives there are many accounts of the type of problem
you describe

Do you mean
<snip>
I looked Friday into the largest domain (most users) and found the following,
4500+ users
user hash dir 0-9 used
user hash dir A-Z used
user hash dir a-z, currently in "u"

I believe this means that I have hashed up to "1" level and I am currently in "u". The source code says I should have the ability to hash into 0-9, A-Z, a-z, which gives me 61 levels (not 62, start counting at 0) since the level_endX fields all read "61" this makes since to me.

So I believe..... I should have the following values for this domain.
cur_users = 4555
level_cur = 1 # how deep have I hashed already
level_max = 3 # how many levels to hash
level_start0 = 0 # where to start hashing
level_start1 = 0
level_start2 = 0
level_end0 = 61 # how many total dirs to have per level
level_end1 = 61
level_end2 = 61
level_mod0 = ? # no idea what this does, currently reads 0
level_mod1 = ? # currently reads 2
level_mod2 = ? # currently reads 4
level_index0 = 56 # how deep have we hashed within the first level
level_index1 = 0
level_index2 = 0
the_dir = u # the dir we are currently adding users to

Ok, that worked somewhat. We are now creating the users within the proper directory. Hmm, how does vpopmail know when to use a new dir?
If my thought on the value of level_indexX is correct, might level_modX tell vpopmail when to create the next dir in line?

I will fill that dir "u" with new users and see if a dir "v" is created. That should also change level_index0 to "57", I believe.

DAve
If this jogs anyones memory, that would be great. I am going to plug these numbers in and see what happens. If anyone out there with more than 5000 users in a domain could send me the contents of their dir_control table, it would be very very helpful.

Thanks,

DAve

I believe that the large number in the cur_users field comes about because
that field is typically 32bit (ie max value 4294967295) and perhaps if the
value is 0 and gets 1 subtracted from it incorrectly during the conversion,
you end up with numbers wrapping and being displayed in that range). Or
maybe there is a part of the code that mixes signed and unsigned integers
resulting in that bug?

Michael.

We figured that was an error, replaced the value and everything continued properly.