On Sep 22, 2004, at 1:09 AM, Flavio Curti wrote:
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:47:24 -0700, Tom Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I think I kept the original email on this, so I'll take another look at
it. Is there enough demand to have this added to vpopmail and
QmailAdmin? Is anyone using simple command-line programs to convert
from unicode (or 8-bit) domain names to their punycode equivalents?
It would certainly make sense for the authentication code (in
libvpopmail?) as the end user could use their normal domain name then.
As for the ISP, we have to work with the punycode domain anyway
(domain register, dns entries, ...) , so it may not be needed...

Wouldn't the email client be responsible for converting to punycode before sending an authentication request?

I was under the impression that in order to properly convert to punycode, you needed to know the charset the data was sent in. In an authentication context, you won't have that information.

I think that it makes sense for QmailAdmin (I'm pretty sure the http client tells the server what charset it used) though.

--
Tom Collins  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]