Thanks Rick,
That makes perfect sense in a convoluted sort of way. We actually have our
primary mx's setup identical to our local delivery boxes for various network
topology reasons. The difference is of course the use of smtproutes vs.
virtualdomains and a few different patches to qmail at that level. Our
customers use these servers as the outbound server for their mail clients as
well and it works out great. Also, for our internal scripts and process, all
of the vpopmail commands work because we sync the control files across all
of our boxes when we add/delete domains. So based on what you have said, if
chkuser relies on vpopmail commands to determine existence then my current
setup should work just fine. If chkuser directly reads the virtualdomains
file, then I will have problems.
Thanks for all of the great info. If anyone can confirm or deny that last
item that would be great(vpopmail commands vs. reading the file directly. If
I could read C, I could figure this out ;-)), but I will probably give this
a try when I can and report back for anyone else that has this same
question.

Also, thanks again for all of you who provide such excellent support on this
list. I have been following the list for a long time but never had a need to
post since my questions have always already been answered. Thanks to the
developers and contributors and those of you who just help.

Brian