um fetchmail is your "friend"
if you "know" the username/password of your
lotus clients (or can take the lotus server and globaly
reset the passwords to something you "know"... )

when run as root fetchmail has MANY neat options...
you can set it up so that each new user account pops(or imaps) into the
lotus notes server,
grabs all the mail in the mail boxes, and restreams all messages to the
new qmail smtp server... for delivery of the mailbox on the new mailserver

vola in your new mailservers inbox will be all the emails
works great... especially if you're migrating a
large amount of clients

we did this for a client last summer
that had to move 20k clients from
an old ISP server to a new inhouse server...

took 6 hours (ok we had a PHAT pipe)

we did it without requireing any administrative access
to the original server.

now there are a few stumbling blocks ..
it helps if you "know" all the imap folders that people have sorted
their mail into etc etc. or better yet tell the users to move any
mail they want to save to "somedir" by migration date...

it also helps if you don’t "accidently destroy source mail"
in the process... (make sure you don’t have remove mail
from server after pop set to YES) or you'll never be able to
restart the process if something goes horribly wrong.

it also is a wise idea to run a few tests on
some throw away accounts (ok run LOTS of tests)

when your ready to do it...
block the lotus server from receiving any smtp or pop
traffic except from your target box)
x your fingers and throw the switch...

it also helps if you throw that switch when no project managers,
VPs, presidents, CEOs, CTOs, and administrative personel and other
people who tend to worry, panic, or point out things like
"its too simple it cant possibly work" are around,

I recommend some time around 2am

kenneth gf brown
ceo shadowplay.net