I would reccomend having your slackware server running MySQL or some
other type of database server.  The installing the mysql client binaries
and libraries on your "frontend" mail servers.  Compile vpopmail for
mysql (or the db backend of your choice) with replication.  Designate
your slackware server as your writing server, and the local boxes as
your reading server.

Then, on each local machine setup mysql replication from the "frontend"
mail server(s) as slaves to the master slackware server on the backend.
Then, mount your ~vpopmail/etc and ~vpopmail/domains, and possibly
~vpopmail/bin depending on how you want to set it up, via NFS from the
slackware backend server to your bsd frontend servers.

With a SQL server handling the authentication it will help you in a
couple of ways.  First is that you won't need to worry about file
locking issues since the the SQL server will take care of all of that.
Second would be improved performance, since you'll be querying a local
database instead of having to travel across NFS to deliver the mail.
And lastly, you could even apply the MySQL patch to tcpserver to do
pop-before-smtp authentication out of the MySQL database in place of the
cdb file.  This would only be a problem if you were getting so many pop
connections that it couldn't rebuild the cdb file fast enough.  Another
workaround for the whole rebuilding tcp.smtp.cdb file thing is to use
the relay-ctrl program from untroubled.org for relay control.

-Clayton