From: Bruno Negrao [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 14 September 2005 17:08
To: vchkpw@inter7.com
Subject: Re: [vchkpw] Rsync concerns

> I had already tried this, however, I pipe the output of the command to a
> log
> file which I check most days to ensure it is still working.  For some
> reason
> the errors don't go to the log but get sent to root.  If I use -q I get
> no
> output in the log even.
Hi Andrew,

Well, it seems to be a silly mistake - i believe your error messages are
going to root because your pipe is redirecting only the stdout of the first
command, letting the stderr to the console (which is forwarded to root).

Try this:

command_a 2>&1 | command_b

And I read your posting about using a LDAP server in order to have a
synchronized backup server. I don't know if you are aware that when you use
the vpopmail LDAP backend only the authentication data will be
synchronized. You'll still need to use rsync in order to copy the maildirs.
(I'm sorry if you already know that). So maybe you wouldn't like to move to
LDAP and keep using vpopmail.cdb backend and rsync to synchronize.

Regards,
bruno.

the system manager.

allpay.net Limited, Fortis et Fides, Whitestone Business Park, Whitestone,
Hereford, HR1 3SE. Telephone: 0870 243 3434, Fax: 0870 243 6041. Website:
www.allpay.net Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]