Bash scripts are fun!  :)

Definitely make it work both ways for a while.  Maybe print some
messages to logs or something to alert people they're doing it the wrong
way.  I'm sure there are plenty who don't read ChageLog files but do
check logs.  Another thing would be to print a big warning message at
the end of a compile.  Or maybe force the user to acknowledge the change
by passing a configuration directive to configure.  No directive would
yield a message to the user.

Charlie