The message comes in properly (or so it seems) and into qmail-local and then vdelivermail.  It reads a .qmail file that says &[EMAIL PROTECTED] and has a second line with the maildir.  The first one [the inject] is failing, which vdelivermail is supposed to be handling.

Is this a bug in vdelivermail?  The message into vdelivermail seems to have a valid return-path, and coming out of vdelivermail into qmail-inject appears to blank the line but not remove it: Return-Path: Received: from keit

Michael Krieger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Somewhat off-topic, but I'm imagining that somewhere in the mix is where this is all beginning.

This is an example of a [junk but unscanned] message [slightly edited for the actual e-mail addresses, though mostly should be the same] that was received.  You'll notice the Return-Path: fails to have any data or a newline after it, being prepended to a received line that already exists.

I then get this in my qmail log file: qmail-inject:_fatal:_unable_to_parse_this_line:/Return-Path:_Received:_...
when it tries to forward the mail based on a .qmail file.

So my question is where would this be allowed into the system?  Shouldn't qmail-smtpd (and simscan) be adding a proper return path based on the senders' from address when it passes it along for the initial delivery?