On 12/15/2006 1:05 PM, John Simpson wrote:
i think the ones created within a mailbox's directory should be called ".vpopmail-*", while the ones in the domain's directory (which ARE processed by qmail-local) should be left the way they are.

I couldn't agree more.

in general i think the idea of using .qmail-{user} files at the domain level is better, simply because it makes for one less process involved in getting the message to the maildir. basically, if qmail-local CAN do the delivery properly, we should allow it to do so. i think the "vdelivermail" program should only be used to handle cases where qmail-local can't work (i.e. mailbox or alias information stored in a database.)

absolutely. On high volume mail servers, like the set I run, forking vdelivermail for no reason will certainly impact performance. better to simply let qmail-local run with the ball.

i think a safer way to do it would be to have a script which finds and renames the files as needed, and tell the users to only run the script while qmail-send is stopped. if they're upgrading the vpopmail binaries anyway, they will probably be in some kind of maintenance window to start with, and stopping qmail-send won't be a major deal.

I don't know why my post on wednesday got lost, but I wrote:

> On 12/13/2006 12:36 AM, Rick Widmer wrote:
>> One of the biggest complaints against vpopmail heard on the qmail
>> mailing list is the fact that it uses files kind of like .qmail
>> files, that are not interpreted by qmail-local, yet it names them
>> .qmail*. Drew-vpopmail has submitted a patch to vdelivermail that
>> follows the .qmail-ext file resolution process just like qmail-local
>> except that at each level it looks for both a .qmail* and .vpopmail*
>> file.
[...]
>> What do you think?
>
> Why keep username/.qmail files at all?
>
> I whipped up code many moons ago (2005.12.16) to convert
> username/.qmail files to username/.vpopmail files --
> http://jeremy.kister.net/code/perl/change-vpopmail-files.pl
>
> Then changing qmailadmin and vpopmail would be trivial.

Maybe there needs to be a ./configure option to disable the new file name.

something like "--old-dot-qmail-files" maybe? sounds good to me.

Great idea!

--

Jeremy Kister
http://jeremy.kister.net./