We are running vpopmail 5.4.10, qmailadmin 1.2.9, and maildrop 1.5.3 on
Debian.  This is one of those cross-software questions, but I'm posting to
the vpopmail list because vdelivermail seems to be part of the issue. We are
seeing a strange problem with maildrop and quotas.  When a user gets over
quota, maildrop and vdelivermail go crazy and spawn of hundreds or thousands
of processes.  We have qmailadmin set so that when you check the "Enable
Spam" box for a user, it puts this in the .qmail file:
|preline /usr/local/bin/maildrop /etc/mailfilter

We use Sqwebmail as a web interface for filter setup.

I was looking for a solution, and  found this patch, but I'm not sure that
it has anything to do with our issue.
http://www.mail-archive.com/vchkpw@inter7.com/msg24317.html

I don't really care if someone gets a message or two over the quota or if
part of a message makes it go over quota, but I don't want thousands of
processes running when someone has filters and hits a quota.

Our qmail does use the chkuser patch and we use simscan.

Thanks for any suggestions...

Trey