On 2007-05-05, at 1840, Rick Widmer wrote:
Jonathan Selander wrote:
Hello there,
I'm currently reinstalling my old e-mail server, and while at it, I find it a good idea to upgrade things and make use of a MySQL database instead of the passwd.cdb files. My question is what do I need to do in order to convert these files for insertion into a database? Does such a script exisst somewhere, or do i need to make my own? If i need to make my own, where can i find specifications on the file format?

vi README.mysql

look for ## CONVERSION FROM CDB TO MYSQL: ##

i'm actually getting ready to write a web page which explains how to do just the opposite of this- how to convert from mysql back to using vpasswd.cdb files. this is because i end up dealing with a lot of people who use "qmailrocks" (not my choice- they adopted my qmail combined patch.)

the qmailrocks directions blindly walk people through setting up vpopmail to use mysql, without even a token explanation of why you may or may not want to do so, or how to NOT configure it to use mysql... in fact it's biggest problem is that it doesn't explain much of anything, it just tells the user "run this script, run this script, run this script with your domain name at the end, run this script"... and next thing you know you have an 85% working server built on two-year-old software and no idea how to administer it.

the first thing i noticed about "vconvert" is that, unless i'm missing something, the quota information is not even touched when reading from mysql, or when writing the vpasswd file.

so am i missing something and it does handle quotas somehow, or do i need to write a patch for vconvert which does this? and if i do write a patch, how are the quota data stored in mysql and/or how is this information available through the vpopmail API?

| John M. Simpson    ---   KG4ZOW   ---    Programmer At Large |
| http://www.jms1.net/                         <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> |
| http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1656880303867390173 |