[EMAIL PROTECTED] ha scritto:
Christopher Chan wrote:

what user privileges are you running qmail-smtpd with? May
it cannot read vpopmail owned files? Did you do your
testing as root and not under the same user id set in the
run file for qmail-smtpd?

I think this is the right line of inquiry, but I don't
know why what I've already tried hasn't worked. Part of
the problem is that chkuser is not writing log files,
so diagnosis is hindered.
Are you seeing any log by smtpd? If yes, you should see also chkuser logs. If no, you have problem elsewhere with logs.

   as root, chkuser rejects bad addresses.
 - When I run qmail-smtpd via tcpserver as UID qmaild,
   chkuser doesn't reject bad addresses -- regardless of
   the setting for CHKUSER_ENABLE_UIDGID
You must run it as vpopmail, and be aware all your .qmail-default are readable by vpopmail.
 - When I run qmail-smtpd via tcpserver as UID vpopmail,
   chkuser doesn't reject bad addresses
Check if .qmail files are readable by vpopmail.

Initially, my /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd/run script
executed qmail-smtpd as UID qmaild, because that is what
the LWQ docs recommend -- see section 2.8.2.2, "the supervise
scripts", here: http://lifewithqmail.org/lwq.html#start-qmail

First I tried recompiling qmail+chkuser with the CHKUSER_ENABLE_UIDGID
switch enabled. qmail-smtpd ran fine but chkuser would not reject
bad addresses.
You may use this, but must know carefully what you are doing, because executing script is more complex, and you must do additional actions on the executable; this option is not compatible with TLS

Tonino

Then I commented out CHKUSER_ENABLE_UIDGID, recompiled qmail
again, and changed the qmail-smtpd/run script to run qmail-smtpd
as UID vpopmail. chkuser still does not reject bad addresses.

Here is the qmail-smtpd invocation from qmail-smtpd/run:
exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 25165824 \
    /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -R -l "$LOCAL" \
    -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb \
    -c "$MAXSMTPD" \
    -u "$VPOPMAILUID" -g "$VPOPMAILGID" 0 smtp \
    /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd 2>&1

The two problems currently are:
1- chkuser does not reject any mail received by qmail
2- chkuser does not write to the mail log

It is as if chkuser is not compiled in at all -- but it
is, as a command-line test reveals.

--
matt.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] Interazioni di Antonio Nati http://www.interazioni.it [EMAIL PROTECTED] ------------------------------------------------------------