It's been a while since I've worked with this older code, but I'll try to offer some answers. Did you see the diagram on the pre-install checklist located here: http://ibiblio.org/vclvm/pre-install.htm?

1) Each blade has a MAC address of it's "public" interface. Let's say for a given blade, this MAC is 00:11:22:33:44:55 In the DHCP system this blade's public (eth0) interface needs to have it's MAC placed so that when the MAC 00:11:22:33:44:55 is requested, it gets the same IP address every time.

2) Whatever IP the MAC 00:11:22:33:44:55 corresponds to 152.14.14.23 and hostname blade4-2.cnl.ncsu.edu where the naming convention is blade-CHASSISNUM-BLADENUM.yourdomain.com Update the "hostname" and "IP Address" fields of that blade's computer table entry.

The way to do this automatically is to use VCL to manage an all virtualized infrastructure using the ESX provisioning capabilities currently located available through the apache.org VCL SVN. The all virtual environment requires the most minimal configuration and the least amount of complexity. To read about how that is done look at these directions:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/vcl/trunk/managementnode/lib/VCL/Module/Provisioning/esx.README

I also have a virtual machine appliance (similar to the VCL 1.9) except this is designed for all-virtual environments and requires minimal configuration. It's in beta stages right now, so if anyone wants to pre-release copy, post back to the list, and let me know.

Best,
Brian

Brian Bouterse
Secure Open Systems Initiative