Since ESX and ESX 3i both use the VMware API, VCL can name them different things in the vmtype table, and try to treat them differently, but it's a useless distinction. Since the API's are the same, the integration effort should not be duplicating work by treating them differently. Consider ESX 4.0; creating a distinction between ESX 4i and ESX 4 is similarly useless since the management API (and therefore the integration work) is the same for both of them.

A useful distinction would be between ESX 3.5 and ESX 4 since the API does change between those versions. Does this make sense to folks?

To answer the question asked about ESX3i kickstart installs, ESX3i cannot be installed via kickstart. The only reason ESX3 could be kickstarted is because the service console was RHEL based. ESX3i contains no RHEL, and therefore no kickstart opportunity.

Best,
Brian

Brian Bouterse
Secure Open Systems Initiative