Thanks Aaron. This explanation helps a whole lot -- I understand this issue much better.

Toks

Aaron Peeler wrote:
Toks,

Yes this is true for any compute resource - bare-metal or virtual machine.

The goal being to have that compute resource reloaded and ready for the next user. In an edu environment - students, faculty have a hard time waiting more than a minute for anything.

There is a jira issue on power-management. The general idea behind this is defining a policy on when to power-down compute resources, be it a blade or vm. Which the policy could be unload all the time or when the overall system is less than a certain percentage of use.

But in the short-term this unload option could be part of the provisioning module load routine. By making use of the data-structure hash, one could find out the last-state of the compute resource i.e if 'inuse' then call an unload routine, powerdown and then make the state of the machine available or release it.

Hope this is what your looking for.

Aaron

Andy,

I would like to revisit this discussion. I believe I understand how this
is applicable when physical resources are being provisioned.  Does the
same hold true for virtual resources?  It seems that once a VM is
provisioned through the vmware or esx modules, that it would persist
indefinitely either via reloading or sanitization for as long as it's
host system is up and running, waiting for another user to "claim" it. I
haven't observed a case where a provisioned virtual resource's lifecycle
actually comes to an end.

Toks

Toks

Aaron Peeler