I suggest #2. For the first release I doubt we'll have many tags.

Aaron

--On September 18, 2009 3:40:11 PM -0400 Josh Thompson <josh_thomp...@ncsu.edu> wrote:

All,

The only TODO item left in defining our release process
(http://cwiki.apache.org/VCL/cutting-a-vcl-release.html) is if and how to
use  release candidates.  Part of the release process is for the
community to vote  on the release.  For that to happen, a fixed
collection of the code needs to  exist so that everyone is voting on the
exact same thing (it wouldn't do for  people to vote on HEAD from svn
because that could change from one person's  vote to another's).

There are a few options that exist for the fixed collection:

(1) pick a revision number from trunk or a branch
(2) create a tag
(3) go through the steps of making a release artifact, but label it a
release  candidate (RC) and distribute it somewhere other than the
official  distribution area

Here are the pros and cons I see right now:
(1) pros - very easy for the developers - just pick a revision number and
           we're done
         - because it's so easy, if a vote fails because of something that
           that needs to be fixed, it's easy to fix it and pick a new
           revision number
    cons - not as easy for non-developers (i.e. people who aren't normally
           using SVN to access to code) to test - this may result in fewer
           people testing it, making the release more likely to have bugs
         - it doesn't test the process of creating the artifact

(2) pros - not as easy as #1, but still pretty easy
         - if a vote fails, just create another tag
    cons - same cons as #1, plus:
         - could result in many tags that could make subversion a little
           cluttered

(3) pros - tests the process of creating the artifact
         - easier for non-developers to test so could get better bug
           reports
    cons - more involved, so more effort that has to be repeated if a vote
           fails

Please share your thought on which method you think would be best.  If
you can  think of another option that would be better, please share it.
Also, if we  pick one option and decide we don't like it, we can change
the process for  the next release.

Advanced Computing | VCL Developer

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

OIT Advanced Computing