Ryan,
We're running into issues using ESXi 4.0 here.  I've detailed them in
another thread, but it sounds like it comes down to the same issue.  So we'd
be very interested in this workaround.  In the meanwhile, we plan to get a
license to test with.  We may also grab portions of the new Vsphere SDK 4.0
to test with that as well.  Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,
Jeff