Just thought I would update the list with my solution for this...

A very smart colleague pointed me to the

method in Windows.pm classes. Using this I am able to force the VM to reboot after I change the VM name, but still retain control so I can join it to the domain.

One note to others who are working with changing VM names...

I found that changing the VM name ruined the sshd setup on my VM. It required me to re-run the update_cygwin.cmd. Obviously I couldn't do this from VCL since ssh was not working. I tried to add a registry setting to:
so it would run on startup.

This did not work and I discovered that RunServices is apparently not supported in Win7? Instead I was able to use schtasks.exe to create a scheduled task to run update_cygwin.cmd.